How To Change Door Rope Gasket On Your Hawken Furnace:
All door seals should be replaced every 2-3 years so we want you to know how it's done.
If you do not change your door rope gasket, you risk the following problems:
- Reduced efficiency
- Waste your precious wood fuel
- Increase your work load
- Possible furnace overheat
- Possible loss of water (and water treatment!) that must be replaced
- In rare cases, damage to overheated steel, particularly the door frame
Changing the fire rope gasket on your outdoor wood furnace should be very easy. When it is time to change your door gasket, follow these simple steps.
1. Let your fire burn down completely. Leaving the door open too long can ruin your furnace and may void your warranty, not to mention that the heat would create an unsafe and uncomfortable working environment.
2. Strip out the old door rope. Using pliers, screw drivers or other tools as necessary, remove the old door rope and clean the channel where the rope seats. Use acetone or other products to clean the channel. Use caution with any cleaning product. If the product is flammable, like acetone, the fire should be completely removed from the firebox. Safety first. Be sure the channel is dry before continuing to the next step.
3. Glue in the new rope gasket. Hawken furnaces use a highly specialialized rope gasket available only from Hawken - You can find it at our online store HERE. Place a thick bead of silicone inside the channel of the door. Push the new rope gasket into place all the way around the door. When you get to the end, use a sharp knife to trim the rope to length. The ends of the rope should touch to keep the gasket tight.
4. Close the door. You may need to adjust the door to fit properly. Keeping the door closed will hold the gasket in place while the silicone or glue set up. You can start burning again right away. Just be sure the door gasket stays in place while you build your fire back up.
If you have any other questions about door gaskets or anything else to do with your Hawken furnace consult your Owner's Manual or feel free to contact us for technical support at this link HERE:
Remember to keep your fire and coals 6 to 8 inches back from the shelf of the door chute. This will extend the life of your door seal. Also remember that fire rope gasket is permeable and some smoke escaping is normal.
The Hawken Support Team